Thursday, March 3, 2011

13 Year Old Girl Escapes Arranged Marriage

  Jesse Bender was almost forced to marry someone she had never met in Pakistan.  She ran off to her Uncle and Grandmother's house and was safe there until police found her March 2, 2011.  She ran away because she didn't want to go to Pakistan to marry a random person who her parents picked out.  She's only thirteen!  Who gets married at thirteen in the United States???!!!

I don't think that arranged marriages are a good idea.  It doesn't allow them to have their own decision.  You don't know who they're marrying!  They could be killers or abusers.  I mean, seriously, people!  I don't usually pay attention to these things, but this is amazing.  I can't believe that someone would make their child do this!!  I mean, how do you get these ideas in your head??!!  I don't care WHERE you're from!   In America, we don't have arranged marriages.  You can arrange your OWN marriage after you've actually met someone here.  We meet, we date, we find out about each other before we get in serious relationships.  WE  don't SEND OFF OUR DAUGHTERS TO RANDOM MEN!!  We don't give our SONS to RANDOM WOMEN!!  We believe in choices.

I'm sorry, but I get kind of upset when I hear about thirteen year old girls being forced to do stuff that they're under-aged and not prepared for.  Personally, I KNOW my parents wouldn't do this to me.  But, I don't know what is going through other people's heads.  In this case?  I don't WANT to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment